Mr. Ioannis Alavanos graduated from the University of Law in Athens in 1980 and subsequently obtained a Masters degree in Business and Commercial Law at the University of Bonn in Germany where he studied from 1980 to 1982.
In 1983 Mr. Alavanos became a member of the Greek Law Society and a member of the Athens Bar Association. Since 2009 he is also a member of the German Bar Association.
Since 1983 Mr. Alavanos has been providing his services as a legal adviser to various trading companies and non-profitable organizations. Between 1985 and 1990 he had worked as a Legal Manager for Magnus Ltd. Co, a Business Consultants Company with a main seat in Athens and branches in Northern Greece and Germany. Over the following years he has been offering legal advises on commercial, labor and employment matters to companies, non-profitable organizations and individuals.
Since 2002 Mr. Alavanos has developed a particular interest in cross-country labor and aliens matters and has given legal advices on a variety of immigration-related issues, such as: legalization, deportation and nationalisation of aliens, political asylum and human rights, employers' duties and liabilities. He has participated in various conferences and meetings organised by governmental and public bodies discussing the appraising of the existing legislation and regulations. In 2007 he was elected President of the Imigration Law Institute (EDAM) and acts as one until today.
Mr. J. Alavanos lectures and gives extensive talks on various legal topics relating to the Greek Immigration Law to immigration practitioners in different parts of Greece and abroad.
Apart from Greek he is fluent in German and French and has a very good comprehension in English.
Author of many scientific articles, published in law and economic journals.
- “Administrative Deportation in Practice”, Nomiki Vivliothiki Group, 2008.
- “Issues regarding the Admissibility of Objections against the Provisional Custody of an Alien”, Journal of Immigration Law, issue 2, January 2009.
- Editor of the scientific law journal “Journal of Immigration Law”.
- 2007, Instructor in the workshop according “Objections against provisional custody of an alien”, at the Bar Association of Athens.
- February 2009, Introducer in the conference that took place in Serres, with the Bar Association of Serres and Thessaloniki as co-organizers. The subject of the conference was “Immigrants and Greek Legal Order”.
- 3 July 2009, Introducer in the Plenary of the Presidents of the Bar Associations of the Country : “The legal framework of asylum and the lawyer part”.
- 2007, Organization of the workshop: “Objections against provisional custody of an alien”, at the Bar Association of Athens.
- 2007, Organization and co-ordination of the discussion at the conference: “The lawyer part in Immigration Law”, at the Bar Association of Athens.
- 2008, Organization and coordination of the discussion at the conference: “Common Migration Policy”, at the Bar Association of Athens, where matters of social integration were discussed.
- February 2009, Co-organization and coordination of the discussion at the conference: “Immigrants and Greek Legal Order”, which took place in Serres, with the Bar Association of Serres and Thessalonica as co-organizers.
- March 2009, Organization and coordination of the discussion at the conference: “Current issues regarding immigration law”, in Thessalonica, with the support of the Bar Association of Thessalonica.
- 3 June 2009, Co-organization of the conference “Legal protection of Aliens, practical issues of immigration law”, in Polygyros, Chalkidiki, with the support of the Bar Association of Chalkidiki.
- 20 November 2009, co-organization and coordination of the discussion at the conference: “Immigrants and the Greek Legal Order”, which took place in Heraklion, Crete, with the support of the Bar Association of Heraklion
- 15 December 2009, co-organization and coordination of the discussion at the conference: “Issues regarding Immigration Law”, which took place in Athens, with the support of Nomiki Bibliothiki publications group.
- 22 January 2010, co-organization and coordination of the discussion at the conference: “Immigration Law in practice: Asylum – Procedure of Petition – Citizenship”, which took place in Larissa, with the support of Nomiki Bibliothiki publications group and the Bar Association of Larissa.
- 2007, Founder and President-elect of the Administrative Board of the Union of Alien and Immigration Law (EDAM) that consists of 212 lawyers from 17 Bar Associations.
- 2007, Founder and managing director of the non-governmental organization Social Integration KEN.
- 2009, Founder and President of the Immigration Law Institute, IMED.
- 2009, Member of the National Committee for the social integration of immigrants, representing the Bar Association of Athens.
- Founder and coordinator of the J. Alavanos and Associates law office, 27 Kaniggos Str., Athens.